Thursday, March 20, 2014

Not THAT kind of Chemistry...

Hey, look at that, that's a funky title. Either you're thinking-- hey, she sure likes chemistry-- or you're thinking-- oh look! She loves Guys and Dolls! Only the latter is true, no offense to chemistry and chemists, but I could never master that sort of thing.

For me, it's always been the most important part of writing. Chemistry, that is. Not the kind with the fizzing bottles and the liquid and the horrible little numbers and letters that I could never memorize. Not that kind of Chemistry.

When I say Chemistry, I mean the kind that happens between two people-- or even three people-- or even everybody. It doesn't have to be romantic. It doesn't even always have to be love. But there must be something there in a story, something between each of the characters. That, to me, is the most important part of the book. The plot is enormous. Style and grammar, essential. But unless your characters mean something to the reader and mean something to each other and mean something to you, then why does it matter? That's why I'm writing this blog. I think it may improve my writing and it may amuse some of you and here's hoping it does both!

Wish me luck and God bless!

No comments:

Post a Comment